Cayo Espanto – Belize
One of the Caribbean's most unusual and most luxurious resorts, Cayo Espanto is a 5-star “private island” resort, featuring one overwater bungalow along with six private villas that are even larger. Each room comes with your own private staff, including 3 chef-cooked meals each day served in your own dining room.
They Cayo Espanto resort was built for honeymoons and other romantic retreats, as each of the 7 rooms on the small island is in a setting that is not visable from the others. The “private island” aspect can be taken even further as they rent out all seven villas as a group for one package price.
Cayo Espanto is located just west of the island of Ambergris Caye, in Belize, in the Caribbean Sea.
Overwater bungalows: 1
Beds: One kingsize bed
Area: 1,000 sq ft (93 m²)
Entertainment system: Satellite 32” or 42” TV and DVD player with video library, CD library, stereo and iPod docking station.
Room service: Personal chef
Special room features
- Personal houseman
- Full service staff
- Housekeeping and complimentary laundry service
- Yves De Lormes premium Egyptian cotton bedding
- Oversized Turkish robes
- Air conditioning and ceiling fans in every villa
- Private verandah or sundeck
- Premium hammock
- Dual line, direct dial telephone
- In-room safe
- Complimentary coffee/tea making facilities
- Yoga mat
- Fitness equipment (upon request)
- Bathroom amenities
- Three meals a day and access to personal butler's pantry for snacks
- Mosquito misting control system
- Low season online specials from US$1,595 per night
- High season online specials from US$1,695 per night
Restaurants and bars
Each villa has its own kitchen and meals are prepared by a resort chef.
- Professional massage therapist
- Non-motorized sports with pedal boats, sea kayaks, and sailboats
- Transportation between Cayo Espanto and San Pedro
Full spa services and treatments are available in your villa.
- Mayan ruin tours
- Jungle trips
- Motor boat and guide for fishing
- Diving and snorkeling
- Access to nearby golf course on Caye Chapel (reservations are necessary)
- Guided Fly Fishing Tours
- Scuba Diving Charters
- Private Snorkeling Charters
- Birdwatching Tours
- Explore Belize Tours
- Deserted Island Beach Picnic
What the reviews say
You'll never find another resort with such positive reviews as for Cayo Espanto. Everything promised is luxury and first-class, and past guests universally report that they deliver on the promises. The staff and service get very high marks, as do the quality of everything in the rooms and on the island. If you're looking into having meals and service whenever your heart desires, this seems to be the place to be.
Obviously this is not a cheap place to stay, but reviews appear to report that guests feel it's good value anyway. The only negative seems to be that the ocean isn't deep enough for swimming most of the time, but all villas except for the overwater bungalow itself have a private pool.
To reach Cayo Espanto you'll need to fly into the main Belize City airport in Belize. From there hotel staff will meet you and help you either board a short flight to Ambergris Caye or take a taxi to the water taxi dock in Belize City. Once in Ambergris Caye it's a short 8-minute private boat ride to the Cayo Espanto island itself.